I find this research on rural women and breast health to be compelling. I don't find much research that highlights the voices of women in rural areas about ANYTHING so when I ran across this article I was thrilled. With rural women being considered in the news so much these days it important that advocates take the time to ask what women are experiencing. And that we listen.
"The women articulated their concerns with the statements, "I need to be around for those I love" and "If I don't take care of myself, no one else will." The Appalachian women used these words as they described their daily lives and their personal responsibilities to others and themselves. The study shows that appealing to their strength as caretakers encourages them to take care of themselves, so that they in turn can live up to their care giving responsibilities."
No comments:
Post a Comment